Langtang range of the Himalayas is the shortest and closest from Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. With the area of 1,710 km2 Langtang national park is just 32 km from Kathmandu and shares its northern border with Tibet. Langtang trek includes trekking in Langtang valley and crossing to Helambu through alpine region of Gosainkunda lakes. Highlights of the trek is Tibetan culture, view of spectacular snow peaks with Langtang Lirung (7,245 m ) and Shisha Pangma (8,013 m in Tibet sides) and alpine lakes of Gosainkunda area.
The trek route follows upstream Langtang River through the dense forests of Rhododendron and oaks which soon changes to hemlock and larch forests with alpine meadows. Valley widens up in the higher reaches with shrubby vegetations surrounded by snow peaks. After acclimatizing in the Langtang valley, climb to alpine lakes of Gosainkunda towards south. Snow peaks of Jugal Himal range feds the chain of sacred lakes. Walk down to Kathmandu through Helambu settled by Sherpas.
- Easy access from Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal
- Relatively less trekkers make it more pristine.
- Tibetan Buddhist villages with beautiful monasteries, stupsa, Mani walls and prayer flags.
- Option of clmbing peaks of 5,000 m like Cherko Ri and Surya peak.
- Great alpine scenery with Yak pastures, majestic peaks and alpine Lake of Gosaikunda.
Outline Day to Day Itinerary:
- Day 01:Arrive Kathmandu
- Day 02:Drive to Syabrubesi (8 hrs / 117 km)
- Day 03:Trek to Lama Hotel (6 hrs / 2,480 m)
- Day 04:Trek to Mundu (6 hrs / 3,350 m)
- Day 05:Trek to Kyanjin Gompa (3.5 hrs / 3,800 m)
- Day 06:Day trip / Climb of Tserko Ri (7 hrs / 5,000 m)
- Day 07:Trek back to Bamboo 7 hrs
- Day 08:Trek to Shin Gompa (6 hrs / 3,300 m)
- Day 09:Trek to Gosaikunda Lake (5 hrs / 4,460 m)
- Day 10:Hike to Surya peak (5,145 m) and enjoy the ambiance
- Day 11:Trek to Ghopte (7 hrs / 3,440 m)
- Day 12:Trek to Tuksang (6 hrs / 3,180 m)
- Day 13:Trek to Chisapani (5 hrs / 2,200 m)
- Day 14:Trek down to Sundarijal and drive back to hotel.
- Day 15:Drive to the airport for final departure.
- Day 01:Arrive Kathmandu Our represent will pick you up from the Kathmandu airport as per the flight details provided. Drive to the hotel. You can go for familiarization walk around tourist center of Thamel.
- Day 02:Drive to Syabrubesi (8 hrs / 117 km) After breakfast, we will drive in a private vehicle towards north of Kathmandu valley. We will have our first view of Langtang and Ganesh Himal as we arrive to the valley rim, some 35 km from the center. Descend down to Trishuli valley and then again climb up the mountain to Dhunche. The landscape gets more picturesque with closer view of snow peaks above deep valley. We descend down to Syabrubensi from Dhunche and spend a night in a lodge.
- Day 03:Trek to Lama Hotel (6 hrs / 2,480 m) We start our walking by crossing Bhote Koshi River on a suspension bridge and follow Langtang River upstream. The trail climbs up steeply at points and then winds along river banks through sub-tropical forest of Oak and Rhododendron. The days walk is mostly through pristine forest intercepted only with teahhouse settlements along the trail. Lama Hotel is a small settlement in a clearing of the forest.
- Day 04:Trek to Mundu (6 hrs / 3,350 m) The trail climbs steeply through the forest from Lama hotel till Ghora Tabela at 3,000 m. The narrow valley starts to become broader with view of snow peaks on the either side. This used to be a temporary Tibetan refugee camp once which is now an army base with few teahouses. Further we climb gradually crossing the Yak pastures to ruins of Langtang village. Langtang village was hit by avalanche during 2015 earthquake. You will see the ruins of the houses and memorials of the dead. Mundu is new alternative of Langtang village for night stay.
- Day 05:Trek to Kyanjin Gompa (3.5 hrs / 3,800 m) The valley opens wide with extended pastures and moraine intersected by small streams. The view becomes more scenic with Langtang Lirung (7,227 m) looming as a distance. We gradually gain altitude heading up the valley and reach Kyanjin Gompa at lunch time. In the afternoon, climb Kyanjin Ri (4,770 m) if you are feeling energetic. You can also visit the government run cheese farm, the monastery or head further to Langshisha Kharka to stay active and help acclimatization.
- Day 06:Day trip / Climb of Tserko Ri (7 hrs / 5,000 m) Tserko Ri offers one of the best view of the snow peaks around Langtang valley. We will head towards the peak early in the morning to arrive at the top before the clouds come in. The trail first goes into the valley and then climbs on the mountain on the left. Halfway, we come to more rocky area with scree at points. It takes about 3 hrs to climb to reach the top. Head down to our lodge in Kyanjin Gompa and relax enjoying valley view.
- Day 07:Trek back to Bamboo 7 hrs We will head back the same trail to Bamboo past Lama Hotel. This gives us another opportunity to enjoy the view and scenery we missed while panting for a breath climbing up. Take it easy and step carefully as people hurt their legs more while going down.
- Day 08:Trek to Shin Gompa (6 hrs / 3,300 m) We leave the main trail of Langtang valley and head up towards Thulo Syabru. The trail continuously climbs through Tamang villages to the forested higher reaches offering great view of Ganesh Himal and other snow peaks again. Further from Thulo Syabru, we pass the Garta Village and Phulung Monastery and finally arrive at Shin Gompa where we spend night.
- Day 09:Trek to Gosaikunda Lake (5 hrs / 4,460 m) The day's trail is the most scenic as we ascend above the treeline and come to several view points overlooking at the Himalayas. On a clear day, one can see the Himalayan range from Annapurna in the west, Manaslu, Ganesh Himal and Langtang. The trail mostly follows the ridge to the holy Lake of Gosaikunda. The Lake at the altitude of 4,380 m is one of the most popular pilgrimage site dedicated to Hindu god Shiva. Shamans are Tantrics join a musical procession to the Lake during the Janaipurnima festival in August.
- Day 10:Hike to Surya peak (5,145 m) and enjoy the ambiance We will have spare day which you can use in climbing Surya peak. This is not technical climb but the rockery, bad weather and snow make it difficult. You can just enjoy the ambiance of lake valley or climb to the ridge north of Gosaikunda for the view of the Himalayas.
- Day 11:Trek to Ghopte (7 hrs / 3,440 m) Walk past the Gosaikunda Lake and then to Suryakunda (another Lake) before crossing the Lauribina pass of 4,600 m. Then the trail descend down along the rocky mountain. Snow and ice may slow you down depending upon the season of the year. Ghopte is small teahouse settlement in the forest.
- Day 12:Trek to Tuksang (6 hrs / 3,180 m) The trail mostly follows the forested ridge gradually climbing down to the village of Tuksang.
- Day 13:Trek to Chisapani (5 hrs / 2,200 m) We will follow the trail through the forested ridge and come to villages and farmland. Chisapani is a village located along the ridge top offering view of Ganesh Himal and Jugal Himal ranges. Here we enter into Shivapuri national park that covers the area of 144 sq km and shares border with Kathmandu city.
- Day 14:Trek down to Sundarijal and drive back to hotel. We will descend through the thick protected forest of Rhododendron, oak and pine to the Tamang village of Mulpani. The trail descends down the stone steps and enter the forested area again at the bottom of the village. The reserve is popular recreation and picnic spot for people from Kathmandu. Exit the national park and walk down to the car waiting in the small town at the bottom. It takes about 1 and half hrs to drive back to Kathmandu.
- Day 15:Drive to the airport for final departure. Our represent will drop you to the airport as per your flight timing.
Trekking route of Langtang was damaged by the Nepal earthquake of April 2015 that triggered avalanches. One year after the earthquake trails have been fixed and we have successfully organized the Langtang trek.